My dearest Frog Princess, today is Valentine’s day though from this point forth I shall call it Balemstimes since that’s how you say it. This day is like any other aside from the fact that I had to create 24 gift bags for your classmates with something other than candy because I didn’t want to be “that” parent this year. You bring me joy in ways I will never be able to describe and with everything going on right now, you are my beacon of laughter and love.
I couldn’t ask for anything better than you. Nothing and no one could replace this feeling. I am so proud and humbled to be your Mami.
Here’s a short list of things I love…
- When you wake up, you look for me and snuggle up close so that we can have cuddle time
- That you make me laugh with silly dances on the bed
- The pure excitement and joy on your face as you take offÂ your shirt all by yourself
- The fact that on some days, while I’m dressing you, you ask “Mami, can we have cuddles when I get home?” (the answer is always YES)
- The shows you put on in front of the mirrored closet doors and how you say “welcome ladies and gentlemen!” like there’s really a crowd. Where did you learn that from?
- The wonder in your face when we capture a glimpse of something new
- How you pat/rub my hair and tell me it’s beautiful even when it looks like a rat’s nest
- Listening to your stories and how you speak with your hands and eyes. Also, the lisp. Lord help me, I know we’ve had speech therapy but I love the lisp
- The fact that you refuse to go to sleep before a million hugs and kisses
- Holding hands as you close your eyes before drifting off
- The whispered chant through slightly closed eyes of “I love you so, so much, Mami”
- The look of accomplishment on your face as we go through sight words
- The tears of exhaustion, frustration and fear that remind me suddenly of how fiercely I love you
- That in spite the hardships I’ve decided to live with as I try to work for myself, one reading session with you confirms that I am doing the right thing
Happy Valentine’s Day, my soulful, smart, joyful, funny, beautiful Frog Princess.